I thought I would start off my first entry with sharing my initial connection to Mike.
Mike and I had a longer Queen’s University stint than most and so our path’s crossed more frequently! It started in 1993 when we were both frosh week PHED “trash”….aka: transfer students. I had done Life Sci in first year and switched to PHED/Life Sci in second….Mike had done the same switch (but one year later) and so we were officially on an extended course! We developed mutual friends, which included some of my gymnastics teammates, and that was the beginning of my new name to Mike…“The Little People” (used regardless if I was with my team or not!).
The next year, I once again made a switch, this time to Physiotherapy. Regardless of my switch, Mike and I would bump into each other, or meet up on the dance floor with Mike’s tongue hanging out as he jumped around and “The Little People” carefully taking cover when needed!
Soon friends started graduating and moving on. Our group of friends got smaller and yet whenever I would walk through campus, there would be Mike. We would smile at each other and say “still here”…”yup, still here”. I graduated in 1998, left Kingston In 1999, and didn’t think I would be back…and so, I didn’t know if I would see Mike again.
Sure enough, Dave and I returned to Kingston in 2002….I guess I was meant to be here for longer! I remember not knowing who was still around and I assumed that I wouldn’t know many people. I was visiting Dave at the hospital and there was Mike! He smiled at me…“still here”…”yup, still here”. And so began our second go round as friends.
I got use to seeing Mike around town. Mike in Kingston was how it was meant to be. I miss not seeing him. Kingston is not the same.
......Jackie
No comments:
Post a Comment