We are gathered here, collectively, to remember, to learn, to share, to laugh, to cry, to inspire, and to provide hope through our grief.
Friday, March 11, 2011
The Force
I hesitated to sign up to this blog. I love the idea of having a connection to Mike and the memories of him, but in many ways, his death is still surreal to me.
Mike and I met in University; we were both studying for a Master’s degree in Physiology. For two years we spent some portion of most days together, and then I moved to Ottawa and “grew up and got a real job” as Mike used to say. We kept in contact and visited periodically, but lost touch for the day-to-day moments that make up the bulk of our lives and that are altered the most when someone dies. As a result, I find myself in this suspended state of disbelief, hoping that just because I don’t see him doesn’t mean he isn’t there, in Kingston, having coffee on the couch.
I had one such moment when I first saw the Volkswagen commercial from the Superbowl. My first thought was to send it to Mike but that was quickly followed by a reminder that he wouldn't be there to receive it. Since then I have probably watched it 100 times, and almost every time it makes me laugh and cry. Through my memories I can hear Mike laughing with me. I just wish Mike had had more time for 'Star Wars' moments like this with Sarah, Emily and Lucas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mike would have loved that add.
ReplyDeleteCatherine