Despite all of his challenges Mike always stayed positive. Pretty much every time I think of Mike I picture him smiling his classic Mike smile. A big wide smile that made his cheek tight and you knew he couldn't smile any farther.
I can imagine 2 distinct 'Mike smiles'. Like most of us, when something made him happy he would flash a huge grin from ear to ear. But sometimes, he had a smile that started as almost a smirk and then gradually migrated across his face until it finally grew into the same big smile. This is usually the smile I think about. It happened when Mike got intrigued, interested and then excited about something we were talking about, whether that was about sports, medicine or life in general. We all had a genuine connection with Mike because he was engaging, enthusiastic, interesting and thoughtful in the conversations he had with us. Mike's smile was a genuine expression of his passion and it always made me feel good (and smile myself) because it made me very connected to him.
Tom - this is a great post ... so articulate ... capturing Mike's smile with great detail. I often thought that Mike was pausing and collecting his thoughts while he smiled during our conversations; I would envy his "pause smile" compared to my own quick, less well thought out replies in conversations! I can't help but think you made everyone smile, thinking of Mike's smiles, with this post :)
ReplyDelete