Saturday, March 5, 2011

Daddy's Tricks


Mike had some great jokes with Lucas that we still use often.  One good one is from when Mike was a kid.  He recounted to me how his Dad Dennis and sister Alison would try to sneak up on him in the morning while he was still in bed sleeping.  In his version of the story, he would always hear them whispering and giggling along the way and then triumphantly turn the tables and yell:  Boo!  (or something like that) right before they were about to pounce.  He loved that story.   Now, on our early work days/daycare days I have to wake up sleepy-head Lucas.  I’ve discovered the best way to do this is to bring along early-bird Emily and tell this story as we approach (just loud enough for Lucas to hear).  We talk about how we’re about to surprise him while he is sleeping… but that Daddy used to always trick Papa and Aunt Alison.  Lucas hears this and gleefully springs out of bed, much to the true surprise of Emily.  I am ‘surprised’ too and everyone is happy.  I just got mileage out of that one this morning.

Another good Daddy-trick started a few years ago with Lucas, to encourage him to eat his dinner.  I’ve read somewhere it’s not a good idea to make a game out of eating. Whoever wrote that has no idea how successful (and fun) Mike was with this routine.  We would put the food all around the outer edge of Lucas’ plate so we could easily see what was there (and what wasn’t).  Then Mike would say in an exaggerated way:  ‘When I look away, whatever you do, DO NOT eat that (broccoli, chicken, noodle, etc. etc)’.  Mike would look away, pretending to see something behind him.  Lucas, of course, would in turn quickly gobble up the food bit and feel he had played a great trick on Mike.  This was sometimes repeated many times throughout dinner….  I can't really use this with Lucas anymore, though he will play along.  With 5 years old quickly approaching, it’s Lucas who now uses it on Emily.  Emily falls in step and plays her part and Lucas thinks it’s hilarious.  Just tonight, Emily said:  ‘I tricked you’ after she ate a meatball, completely unprompted.  Good one, Daddy.

Thinking of Daddy and Lucas and some of their silly tricks together.

Sarah (for Lucas)

No comments:

Post a Comment