Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Serenity


Mike loved to visit his Muncle Icheal (Uncle Micheal), Coral, Aaron, Bridget, Mickey, Jasper and the rest of 'the farm' gang in Perth.  He found a great sense of peace on those visits both from the conversations and the beautiful scenery.  It's a place that fills up your imagination!  Every corner brings wonderment and visits with Lucas and Emily affirmed this-- Daddy, what is THIS?  (could be an owl wing drying, a swing in the kitchen, 'dinosaur bones' (moose bones), brussel sprouts growing in the garden).

I often find myself thinking of what we were doing the same time last year, as we are all apt to do.  Last year we went star-gazing at the farm in November.  The sky opened up in front of us, like a gift.  Last year it didn't snow as much.  Last year Emily wore a polka-dotted dress on her 1st birthday.  Last year. Last year.

Last year at this time, Mike was becoming much more sick.  I can feel these next few months becoming more difficult for me, as I remember what came to be with each passing month, leading to June.  I wouldn't have predicted these feelings, in this way.  Grief has a way of hitting you like a wave or slowly eroding your footing.  Either way, you are knocked down.

Visits to the farm now bring me that feeling of serenity.  We are planning a visit soon to help us move forward through these grey months.   Thankfully, the days are transitioning from grey to green as spring struggles to take hold.  I look forward to that!  It was always very hard for Mike to leave the farm.  Our good-byes were so long and drawn out, it became a joke between Mike and I.  I have a feeling the same thing will happen to us the next time we visit.

1 comment:

  1. Serenity and serendipity were words that were often confused in my mind as a student years ago - I often misused them. Today though, I'm reminded that this journey has been serendipitous - for me and I am guessing others. The discoveries we are making about ourselves through our grieving are fortunate discoveries for ourselves and our friends and families (even though many days the learning is painful). Eliot mentioned Mike's legacy and I like to think that this is all a part of Mike's hand in keeping us "on our toes" .... learning. Thank you again Sarah for keeping us close to Mike, you, Lucas & Emily.

    ReplyDelete